Welcome to Beyond Skin
Beyond skin combine complete professionalism with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. While discussions about the health benefits from sun exposure typically center around vitamin D, which your skin produces in response to UVB rays, UVB exposure actually has a number of other health effects unrelated to vitamin D production – whether it’s from the sun or a safe tanning bed. New evidence presented in numerous medical researches around the world confirms that exposure to the sun in appropriate and measured time frames has a number of health benefits unrelated to vitamin D production.
This page focuses on the most frequently asked questions about Tanning.
Are there any benefits in using a tanning bed?
Plenty! If used correctly withthin a correct time frame, there are many benefits. Read on for the list…Go to top
Benefits – Receive Vitamin D!
Responsible tanning increases your natural level of vitamin D, which is produced when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet light. Vitamin D is proven to offer protection against inflammatory Bowel Disorders (IBD) and according to scientists reduces the risk of developing Diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis.Go to top
Benefits – Improve Bone Structure!
Vitamin D, which is being produced during a tanning session, helps the body to absorb calcium. Calcium strengthens your teeth and bones and helps to reduce the risk of osteoporosis and needles fractures.Go to top
Benefits – Help Reduce Heart Diseases!
There are strong indications that responsible tanning increases the total metabolism, which causes blood pressure and the level of cholesterol to decrease. This also indicates that the heart will be able to pump more blood, which will lower the risk of receiving a stroke.Go to top
Benefits – Feel Good!
Responsible tanning can be used as anti-depressive therapy since it increases the feeling of well-being. It boosts serotonin levels, the body’s happy hormone. The warmth also relaxes the body and mind, and therefore is an excellent tool against stress and exhaustion.Go to top
Benefits – Help Lose Weight!
Higher levels of serotonin in your body not only make you feel happy, but it also suppresses the appetite, so you will eat less in warmer weather and after a sun session.Go to top
Benefits – Reduce Risk of Cancers!
Although over exposure to the sun increases your risk of skin cancer, Vitamin D provided by sunlight can actually help to significantly reduce your risk of other types of cancer, like breast cancer and colon cancer.Go to top
Benefits – Prepare for Summer!
A tanned skin is the body’s own protection mechanism to limit the risk of over exposure of the sun during the summer and for open-air sports.Go to top
Benefits – Relieve Pain!
Responsible tanning makes muscles more flexible and eases stiffness, it works as a pain reliever in case of rheumatism and muscular pain.Go to top
Benefits – Boost Your Immune System!
Responsible tanning stimulates the production of white blood cells that fight bacteria and viruses, which cause the immune system to improve significantly.Go to top
Benefits – Cure Skin Disorders!
Responsible tanning is used for treatment of some skin disorders such as psoriasis, certain allergy types and acne.Go to top
Are the sessions private?
All of our sunbeds are in private rooms ensuring that all of our clients get to tan in a spacious, private and comfortable environment.Go to top
What is Urban Spray Tanning?
Our obsession to deliver the most realistic tan is now available with Urban Tan. Urban Tan specially formulated solutions deliver the most natural, flawless and healthy looking tan. Available in a range of colours, you have the option to select your desired depth and intensity of tan. Urban Tan solutions are unscented but you can personalise your tan with one of our unique range of Aroma Zone fragrances – select one to suit your mood.Go to top
How Long will my Urban Tan session last?
Approximately 5-7 days. However this can be extended with the correct use of pre and post care products.Go to top
How does Urban Tan work?
Once you have chosen your desired Urban Tan colour and fragrance, our trained therapist will apply your Urban Tan using a spray system. The active ingredients used are DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) and Erythrulose. There originate from sugarbeets / roots and are approved by the FDA (Food, Drugs Administration) for safe use on skin. These ingredients have been used safely in cosmetics for over 30 yearsGo to top
Cautions / Instructions?
For best Urban Tan results, please follow these guidelines:
Before your appointment:
- You must thoroughly exfoliate and moisturise your skin the day PRIOR to your Urban Tan, to remove all your dead skin.
- Please DO NOT moisturise on the day of treatment
- Daily moisturising using a recommended after care product, AFTER the bronzer is removed (when you shower) will extend your Urban Tan by 2-3 days.
- Shave or wax at least 24 hours prior to your Urban Tan spray application.
- Remove all traces of make-up, deodorant and perfume as they can create a barrier.
After your appointment:
- Wear loose dark clothing immediately after your Urban Tan application.
- This prevents the bronzer rubbing off onto lighter garments.
- The bronzer is water soluble and will wash away.
- Care should be taken with light undergarments as the colour can hold on the inner linings / Lycra of these garments.
- DO NOT wear tight items of footwear or clothing that could cause friction and rub marks, for example tight socks, trainers, boots and belts.
- DO NOT apply moisturiser or liquid make up. Brozing / loose powder is acceptable as are mascara and lipstick.
- DO NOT wash your hands for the first 2-3 hours to avoid water marks on the wrists.
- Leave the Urban Tan application on the skin for a minimum for 6-8 hours.
- For optimum results, leave on the skin overnight.
- Shower as usual the following morning.
- Your Urban Tan sunless application contains a cosmetic bronzer and this will wash off during showering.
- DO NOT worry, as this is usual and does not affect the end results of your Urban Tan.
- Pat the skin dry post showering.
- DO NOT rub.
- Apply your recommended moisturiser or Urban Tan maintainer whilst the skin is damp.
- DO NOT exfoliate again for at least 5 days post your Urban Tan spray or until the day prior to your next application.
- You can have as many applications as you wish, if you desire a darker result.
- It is recommended you wait 24-48 hours between applications.
- DO NOT take part in any exercise or activities whilst your Urban Tan is developing.
- You can resume your normal activities once the bronzer has been removed in the shower.
- DO NOT swim whilst your Urban Tan is developing
- Wait until you have showered off the bronzers.
- Chlorine and salt will fade your Urban Tan faster, as this has a bleaching affect on the skin.
Please note: Urban Tan contains NO sunscreens and you must protect yourself in the sun in the normal way.Go to top
What if I have more questions?
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us and we will be more than happy to answer any queries you have.Go to top